There is more variety available today in office furniture than ever before, but DIY is still one of the best ways to liven up your cube or home office without breaking the bank. To help, we’ve come up ways to turn a cork bulletin board into something that is visually appealing enough to be the focal point of a room. The best thing about cork is all you need is thumbtacks, push pins or staples to hold your decorative enhancements in place. You could also use a hot glue gun for a more permanent solution.
1) Cover it with wrapping paper or fabric. Both come in a variety of colorful, funky designs and you can easily tack it up over the cork board surface. It’s thin enough to not hinder the posting of documents and adds flavor to your workspace when the board is not in use.
2) Decorate with ribbon. Running strips of pretty ribbon diagonally across the cork board in both directions will create a diamond pattern to separate the sections of the cork board. You could also use ribbon over or just inside the frame for extra accent.
3) Re-color the frame. This is one of the easiest enhancements. Grab a roll of your favorite colored or patterned duck tape and cover the board frame. You can get creative by mixing and matching to make each side of the board frame a different style. If you’ve got the skills you can search the web and learn to give the board a whole new frame all together as well.
4) Make it a calendar. Create the grid lines of a 1-month calendar with any color tape. You will need 7 columns for the days and 5 rows (weeks) to accommodate for every month of the year. You can design and pin-up cutouts for every special occasion! This is a great option for classrooms – assign different groups of students to decorate the calendar each month marking important dates including student’s birthdays.
5) Build your own. Maybe the rectangular shape is what’s cramping your style. A cork roll offers nearly unlimited flexibility. Cut it into the shape of your initials or anything else that makes you smile. Attach your custom cork shape to the wall with adhesive tape. (Consider backing your shapes with fiberboard, such as homasote, to make it more sturdy)
6) Transform it into a gift. Using any of the ideas above, you can turn a common bulletin board into a crafty, thoughtful and homemade gift. For example, cover the surface with Happy Birthday wrapping paper and tack up a photo collage, or a collection of things you think the recipient will love such as recipes and magazine articles.
Most of us cannot afford to completely remodel our home office and aren’t allowed to bring our own desk into work, but we do have control over the little things. For more ideas on turning your bulletin board into a masterpiece, simply browse the web. ApartmentTherapy recently posted a collection of some of the simplest, unique ways to dress up a basic cork board. We spend so many hours a day working – why not spruce up our surroundings slightly to inspire, motivate and promote happiness?
~ Jigisha D., Quartet Intern
~ Kathleen S., Quartet Blog Editor